Sunday 21 February 2010

Pink Polka Dots

Recently I've been going back to a lot of old sewing projects and trying to improve them. This skirt was one of the first things I made when I first got back into sewing around 3 years ago.

I used a basic skirt pattern for the shape, gave it a simple elastic waist and stitched in a layer of tulle. Of course I didn't bother with lining which was something of a mistake. Sitting on cheap tulle is not comfortable.

It was a pretty simple refashion. I just cut and ripped the tulle out. It is much more comfortable to wear now but it turns out that I just don't like the skirt that much. I might have been able to get away with pink polka dots when I was a teenager but finding myself a 20 something I'm trying to create a more mature wardrobe. I will find a use for the elastic and try and use some of the fabric as detail on other projects. Another one for the scrap bag. I've found that is the way with things you have sewn yourself. As you get better stuff you were really proud of when you first started seems unwearable but each project was a learning process.

No comments: